The best way to recruit volunteers is with Oxon Volunteers.
It’s free to sign up with Oxon Volunteers and post your volunteering opportunities on our bespoke county-wide, county-specific volunteering database. Since October 2017 anyone across Oxfordshire can post or look for an opportunity free of charge.
You don’t need to be a member of OCVA to advertise, instead you can post your advert directly on to Oxon Volunteers. If you get stuck with the system, contact us and we’ll help you learn your way around.
Our advice when advertising
As administrators of the website, here are our tips for good things to do (or what not do!) to help your advert stand out and recruit volunteers who would be good for you.
- We often talk about skills required – but it’s just as important to let your volunteers know what skills they can gain. What is good about this role for the person doing it?
- Benefits and skills gained are different! A benefit might be a free lunch, or the knowledge you are making a difference. Skills gained are learned by the volunteering experience: for example, improved IT skills, better communication, learning to work in a team.
- Don’t forget to let them know how to get to you – the website is Oxfordshire-wide, so it’s crucial you let people know directions, for example which bus route. Check your postcode on the handy map feature to make sure it’s accurate!
Here’s what we do:
- We offer volunteering appointments for those who are thinking about volunteering but are anxious about whether it is right for them, or would benefit from support to find and apply for an opportunity. They can come in for one-to-one sessions to help find something suitable and to get a tour of the website. We have one experienced member of staff who takes appointments – contact us to find out more.
- We also send out monthly highlights to 3,000+ Oxfordshire volunteers in our monthly volunteering newsletter email. If you want to highlight something in this, drop us a line to ask!
NCVO offer free membership to community organisations with an annual turnover below £30,000. NCVO members benefit from access to best practice information and up to date national legislation relating to volunteers, as well as a wider range of resources for your organisation.