What is the role: Museum of Oxford Welcome Volunteer
These volunteers are the first people visitors meet when visiting the Museum of Oxford. They offer a friendly welcome, help with enquiries and also ensure that visitors understand how to get the best from their visit. Welcome Volunteers check that the Museum is clean, tidy and inviting and let staff know if things are not functioning properly or broken. Their enthusiasm for the Museum of Oxford and its collections inspires visitors to return, attend events and even become volunteers themselves.
- Offer a friendly and informative welcome to all visitors as the public face of the Museum of Oxford
- Develop a knowledge and interest of the museum’s collection – you do not need to be an expert, just enthusiastic to learn!
- Promote the Museum’s exhibitions, events and services
- Care for the collections and items on display by promoting/ensuring their safe and respectful treatment
- Support visitors using interactive and ‘hand-on’ activities
- Obtain customer comments via surveys and informal feedback
- Regular communication with the rest of the team, volunteers and staff
- Become familiar with and then follow the relevant procedures associated with this role at all times.
When does the volunteering take place:
Session times are:
- Monday to Saturday at 09.45-11.45, 11.30-13.30, 13.15-15.15 and 15.00-17.00
- You could do a session a week, a fortnight, a month!
- You could do two sessions back to back, with a gap etc.
- Volunteering at the Museum of Oxford is flexible
We hope you will volunteer with us once a fortnight; you can do more or less though! Volunteering with us should fit around your own commitments
Volunteer perks / why you should join!
- You will be contributing to the community by helping in the work of the Museum
- Helping to keep a part of our heritage for future generations
- You get to meet a wide range of visitors from all around the world, make friendships with volunteers and staff
- Opportunities to develop skills and experience within the museum sector and use your knowledge and enthusiasm
- Work experience that can be an invaluable addition to your CV and building confidence
- Enjoyment in doing something you like while meeting new, like-minded people.
- A friendly, welcoming, people person
- Confident in communicating with a whole range of people from different backgrounds
- Enthusiastic and excited to learn about the history of Oxford
- Supportive of the Museum and the wider organisation that runs it
- Understanding that how they present themselves represents the whole Museum and Council
- Punctual and reliable, they let us know if they cannot make it
- Aware of health and safety
- Someone who wants to support the Museum and make it better for the people of the city and those visiting
- Supportive of other volunteers and staff
A DBS check is not required for this role.
How to apply: Apply in advance via the website and complete the online form