What is the role: Retail assistant
Who is the role for: Shaw Trust
When does the volunteering take place: Anytime Monday – Saturday, 9am – 5pm
Where does the volunteering take place: Templars Square Shopping Centre, 129 Cowley Road, Oxford, OX4 3XR
What the role involves:
As a volunteer in our friendly charity shop, you will have the opportunity to gain experience in all parts of retail and work behind the scenes to find hidden gems in our stock, price garments, replenish stock and serve customers on the till. Depending on your interests you could even use your creative skills to help with our visual merchandising or your leadership skills to manage new projects that help Shaw Trust deliver a successful community business that raises much needed funds for the charity.
Main duties include:
- Welcoming and helping customers.
- Stock preparation including sorting, steaming and pricing.
- Replenishing stock on the shop floor and organising displays.
- Possible administrative tasks such as stocktaking.
- Taking receipt of stock donations from the public.
- Operating the till and serving customers.
Shaw Trust is a national charity working to create brighter futures for the people and communities across the UK. We provide employment opportunities, skills training, and health and wellbeing services and operate social enterprises and retail shops, and work alongside Shaw Education Trust, which runs a diverse chain of academy schools.
Why you should sign up to the role: There are lots of benefits to this role, including developing your confidence, gaining experience to add to your CV, improving your team working skills and gaining a reference at the end. We also offer training to volunteers and there may be opportunities for you to undertake an NVQ level 2 in team leading, customer service or retail alongside your volunteering.
Skills and equipment required:
- No previous experience is required but you will need to demonstrate a willingness to learn new skills and engage with the public.
- A friendly and helpful manner.
- Responsible & trustworthy.
- Ability to work independently but also as part of a team.
- To be able to use the full range of store equipment once suitably trained and the ability to adhere to Shaw Trust’s health and safety regulations.
- Ability to work practically and to contribute to the general aims of Shaw Trust
References are required for this role. Reasonable travel expenses will be covered and you will be provided with training in the shop and online.
How to find out more:
Completing an online application form here
For more information pop into our Shaw Trust charity shop at Templars Square Shopping Centre or contact our central team on 0300 247 2222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org