What is the role: Walk Marshal
Who is the role for: Parkinson’s UK
When does the volunteering take place: Sunday 10th September 2017 – ONE OFF Opportunity
Where does the volunteering take place: Various locations around Oxford. The base is at Cherwell School, Marston Ferry Road, OX2 7EE
What does the role involve: Are you friendly and a great communicator?
Walk Marshals will be crucial to the smooth running of Walk for Parkinson’s – Cowdray on Sunday 10th September 2017. This is a brand new 4.5-mile circular sponsored walk around Cowdray. The walk across the Estate passes through woodland and fields with spectacular views as well as through the scenic Cowdray Golf course, magnificent Cowdray Heritage and the Cowdray Park Polo Club grounds.
As a Marshal, you would:
- stand on the event route and direct people taking part
- make sure signage is correct
- liaise with the event organisers, and report participant progress and any incidents
- help participants who get into difficulty
- offer enthusiastic encouragement
Why you should sign up to this role: You will help to raise money to support Parkinson’s UK’s work to find a cure and improve life for everyone affected by Parkinson’s.
You will have the chance to:
- work as part of an enthusiastic team to deliver the best possible experience for participants
- learn how events are run and gain experience of dealing with members of the public, branches, supporters and members
- be part of a friendly team
- learn more about Parkinson’s UK
Skills required for this role: To fulfil this role you will have:
- strong communication and observation skills
- the ability to stand for long periods of time
- a friendly, enthusiastic and proactive manner, as you will be dealing with the public and directing and helping people taking part
- good attention to detail, as you will be making sure signage is correct
Please note that references and a DBS check are NOT required for this role.
Travel expenses are covered to and from your home and online training is provided.
You are asked to be available for 3 – 6 hours on the day of the walk to help out.
Interested in finding out more: Sign up through the volunteer opportunity page: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/jobs/24-november-2016/walk-marshal-oxford