What is the role: Outreach health volunteer
Who for: Healthwatch Oxfordshire
When does the volunteering take place: This is a very flexible volunteering role and can be done to fit around your other commitments. There is no minimum time commitment and lots of opportunities to volunteer at evenings and weekends.
Where does the volunteering take place: At locations across Oxfordshire
What is involved: Outreach volunteers are the voice of Healthwatch Oxfordshire (HWO) and without them we would not be able to reach as many people as we do. Volunteers support our staff team to engage with people at a range of events and locations across Oxfordshire. They support us by talking to people, gathering opinions about local health and care services (good and bad) and spreading the word about the important work we do.
Our Outreach Volunteers help us to engage with members of the public by:
- Helping us to put on health and social care networking events
- Talking to and gathering views of the public and reporting this back to us.
- Holding engagement and information stands in community areas such as libraries and supermarkets
- Helping us to conduct surveys and consultations with local people
- Explain to people what HWO is and what it does
- Listen to people experiences of using services and record the information heard in an accurate manner
- Attend events that other organisations run and promote a HWO stall
- Attend meetings and training as required
Why volunteers should sign up: Because this is a fantastic, well supported role where you can make a real difference in your community.
You will get the chance to:
- Learn to undertake new challenges with a chance to learn new skills
- Volunteering can be a stepping stone into employment or training opportunities
- By donating their time, volunteers can ‘give something back’ to health and social care in Oxfordshire.
- Volunteering can provide an opportunity to be involved with something interesting, absorbing and rewarding.
- Volunteering can improve health and wellbeing!
- After completion of 50 hours satisfactory voluntary work with Healthwatch Oxfordshire volunteers will be awarded a Certificate of Volunteering and may request a reference from Healthwatch Oxfordshire
- Share your skills with other people and contribute to the success of Healthwatch across Oxfordshire
- Meet like-minded with similar interests
What skills does this role require: This role would suit individuals who enjoy talking to others, can be friendly and approachable and care about improving local health and social care services. You need to be able to maintain confidentiality, be keen to learn about services and support on offer and have strong communication and listening skills.
This role does require references and a DBS check. Expenses are paid to cover travel to and from events, lunch if you are at an event all day and caring costs if you have caring responsibilities.
How to sign up: Interested? Then please complete an application form which can be found on our website or give us a call on 01865 520520 and have a chat with one of the team.